www.archive-ie-2012.com » IE » K » KANTURK

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".

    Archived pages: 174 . Archive date: 2012-10.

  • Title: Kanturk
    Descriptive info: .. Home.. About Kanturk.. Images of Kanturk.. Historic Kanturk.. Accommodation.. Kanturk Arts Festival.. Kanturk Links.. Contact.. Welcome to Kanturk's Website.. Kanturk is a small and friendly town with a unique personality.. Situated in north-west Co.. Cork, it is the capital of the ancient barony of Duhallow and has a population of around 2000.. The town is very accessible.. Click here.. for more 'About Kanturk.. '.. NEW.. :.. 'The Danny O'Sullivan Photographic Archive'.. Click here.. to see the Archive in 'Historic Kanturk' Section.. 2011 Kanturk and District Community Council Ltd.. site by.. barrymccarthyvisuals.. com..

    Original link path: /
    Open archive

  • Title: About Kanturk
    Descriptive info: The town is very accessible.. Standing in the middle of Kanturk one is less than an hour’s drive from Cork, Tralee, Limerick and Killarney.. Mainline rail is less that ten minutes away, and airports at Cork, Kerry and Shannon are within easy reach.. Kanturk is nestled between two hills and the rivers Allow and Dallow, which converge in the town, dictate much of its layout.. Its streets radiate from an old market square and its two old stone bridges are focal points in the town.. Historically noted for its well-wooded appearance, the visitor to Kanturk is initially struck by its beech-lined approaches.. Kanturk is a compact town, with modern development well-integrated into its traditional layout.. A deep sense of history and tradition has shaped Kanturk, physically, socially and culturally.. Its hinterland straddles the strongly Gaelic Sliabh Luachra region to the west, and the more planted region to the east around the Munster Blackwater.. Both are reflected in the town’s cultural and physical atmosphere.. The magnificent Kanturk Castle, for example, is one the largest structures built by a native Irish chieftain and the town’s name, derived from Ceann Turic (Boar’s Head), reflects the legend that  ...   range of services and businesses unusual for a town of its size.. Along with its physical and cultural features, Kanturk has many attractions and amenities for visitors and newcomers alike.. It is noted for its three public riverside parks and has a strong and very diverse sporting tradition.. The town, for example, boasts the only cycling velodrome outside of Dublin.. Kanturk has a host of pubs – both traditional and contemporary in ambiance - and many eating places for ethnic and traditional tastes.. It has an annual Arts Festival and is the centre for a very active and inclusive choral society.. The town has strong social networks and a long-established Community Council.. Kanturk is also at the centre of a strong fishing region, dominated by the Blackwater, and the local rivers are proactively managed by the local angling club.. All things considered, Kanturk is the perfect base for exploring Sliabh Luachra, Duhallow and the upper Blackwater.. The town of Kanturk, therefore, has much to offer.. It is cosy and rooted in tradition, but also self-confident, proud and progressive.. Visitors and newcomers alike will find it warm, interesting and welcoming.. 2009 Kanturk and District Community Council..

    Original link path: /about.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Images of Kanturk
    Descriptive info: Images of Kanturk.. Images by Patrick Casey Tom Daly.. (.. click here.. for Historic Images of Kanturk).. Pag.. e 2 Images.. /.. Page 3 Images.. Page 2 Images.. Page 3 Images.. Home..

    Original link path: /imagesofKanturk.html
    Open archive
  •  

  • Title: Kanturk Historic map
    Descriptive info: Click.. Here.. for an '.. Historical Overview of Kanturk.. '.. for historic images of Kanturk.. for book on history of Kanturk 1550-1900.. for 'The 'Danny O'Sullivan Photographic Arthive'.. for.. 'A Compilation of Kanturk Family Names 1550-1900'.. Click on the.. list below.. for descriptions of the heritage sites on this map.. Descriptions of the Historic Sites Indicated on the Map.. 1.. RC Church of the Immaculate Conception 1867.. 2.. Courthouse and former Bridewell, 1825.. 3.. Dalua Foot Bridge, 1825.. 4.. Site of Shradeen / Barry’s Mill, c 1809-1960.. 5.. Mill House, Birthplace of Hannah Sheehy Skeffington (1877-1946).. 6.. Site of Auxiliary Workhouse / Burke’s Mill.. 7..  ...   1845.. 11.. Geenane House and Mill Sites.. 12.. Elbow Lane.. 13.. Birthplace of Edel Quinn.. 14.. Early 19th.. Century Mill.. 15.. Constabulary Barracks (-1866) and RC curates’ residence.. 16.. House of John C.. Deady, Poet, publican, auctioneer.. 17.. Birthplace of and tAthair Donnchadh O Flionn (1902-1968).. 18.. Market House 1838.. 19.. Kanturk Castle.. 20.. Trade Union Hall 1881.. 21.. Alley Bar – ball alley listed in Griffith 1852.. 22.. Site of Kanturk House (Purcell’s).. 23.. Tolls House 1850.. 24.. Site of Market House 1657-1847.. 25.. Site of RC Church (-1867).. 26.. Mary’s Lodge.. 27.. Site of Kanturk Railway Station 1889-1963.. 27a.. Level Crossing..
    Open archive

  • Title: Kanturk - Accommodation
    Descriptive info: Accommodation in Kanturk and District.. The Welcome Bed Breakfast.. In the Centre of Kanturk.. Proprietor: Margaret Cotter.. Phone: 086 2245765.. E-mail:.. thewelcomebb@gmail.. Cashman Accommodation Kilbrin.. Relax in the heart of the country at Cashman's accommodation in Kilbrin, located 4 km from Kanturk in the Duhallow region of north Co.. Cork.. Proprietor: Bill Cashman.. Phone: 085-2865813.. Email:.. bill@cashman-accommodation.. www.. cashman-accommodation.. (Please.. e-mail.. if you would like to be included in this section)..

    Original link path: /accommodation.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Kanturk Links page
    Descriptive info: Community and General Links.. Kanturk and District Community Council.. Edel Quinn Hall.. Kanturk Tidy Towns.. Kanturk GAA Club.. RTE podcast of arrival of the 'Brotherhood of the Knights of the Black Pudding' to Kanturk, 2010.. RTE News feature on 'Try Town First' campaign, January 2011.. 'Lifeblood of Kanturk is Diversity' (.. Irish Examiner.. feature Dec.. 7th..  ...   Castle’ by Jean J.. MacCarthy.. Irish Red Cross – Kanturk Millstreet Branch.. Kanturk Electoral Area – Cork County Council.. Féile Dúthalla.. Duhallow Choral Society.. The nearby village of Castlemagner Historical Society.. The nearby village of Kilbrin.. The nearby village of Churchtown.. Business and Commercial Links.. if you would like your business to be included in this section)..

    Original link path: /kanturklinks.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Contact Page for Kanturk
    Descriptive info: To contact kanturk.. ie.. To contact www.. kanturk.. ie, please e-mail: info[at]kanturk.. ie and replace [at] with @..

    Original link path: /contact.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Historic Images of Kanturk
    Descriptive info: Historic Images of Kanturk.. Please e-mail.. info@kanturk.. if you have historic images of Kanturk which might be included in this archive, giving a caption and details if possible.. Gun carriages outside the RIC barracks, Earl St.. , during the War of Independence.. Note the window over the archway with a camouflaged and loopholed cover[courtesy William Cashin].. Funeral Patrick Clancy (O/C Kanturk Battalion, IRA) who was killed with Sean O’Connell while resisting arrest by joint party of RIC and British Army at Jack O’Connell’s home at Derrygallon in August 1920.. They had taken part in an attack on soldiers guarding a plane downed by accident near Kanturk the previous day.. Note that the parade crosses to the left-hand side of the street while passing the RIC barracks.. Also note that the railings on what is now O'Brien St.. Park have been removed - they were used by the RIC to barricade their barracks.. [courtesy William Cashin].. Kanturk football team, 1897 [courtesy William Cashin].. Kanturk Railway Station c.. 1950, with Mushramore in the background [courtesy Patrick O'Sullivan].. Presentation..  ...   demolished due to it becoming derelict.. 'Park House' - the miller's residence to the left - is still in existence, along with the ruins of Bourke's Mill in the right background.. The ruins of Barry's Mill, 1962, along with the Park House.. The location is upriver of the Metal Bridge, at the site of the current Town Park.. The gentleman in the foreground is Mr.. William O'Connor who provided funds for the purchase of land for the park.. A Nationalist gathering, 1913, outside the AOH Hall (Ancient Order of Hibernians), Church St.. The Metal Bridge, 1926, with the railings swept away after floods.. The railway gates closed across Percival St.. , and the pedestrian bridge over the track.. The line was closed in 1963.. Railway pillars and gates still exist on the site.. Kanturk Fife and Drum Band, established in 1948, with new uniforms at Kanturk Show, August 14th, 1949, along with Rev.. Dr.. Twomey.. Old building, Marble Arch (date unknown).. LDF (Local Defence Forces) Parade, 1940 [courtesy William Cashin].. Founder Members of Kanturk Show, 1920..

    Original link path: /documents/HistoricImagesofKanturk.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Images of Kanturk
    Descriptive info: Page 1 Images..

    Original link path: /imagesofKanturk2.html
    Open archive

  • Title: images of Kanturk 3
    Original link path: /imagesofKanturk3.html
    (No additional info available in detailed archive for this subpage)

  • Title: Kanturk - Historical Overview
    Descriptive info: Historic Kanturk - An Overview.. Kanturk is located in north-west County Cork, in the barony of Duhallow and at the confluence of the rivers Allow and Dalua which together flow into the upper reaches of the Munster Blackwater.. First mentioned under 1510 A.. D.. in the Annals of the Four Masters (Annála Rioghachta Éireann), the name is derived from the Gaelic placename Ceann Tuirc.. This literally means ‘the boar’s head’ and numerous theories have been proposed to explain its derivation, encompassing the religious, the topographical and the mythological.. The owners of Kanturk from early modern times was a sept of the McCarthy clan, known locally as the MacDonogh.. These occupied the original Kanturk Castle which was nearer to the town than its still-standing successor, and most likely stood near the strategically-sited river crossing.. The early settlement probably evolved around this site.. The developing settlement of Kanturk acquired legal standing in 1615 in a Royal re-grant to MacDonogh.. This was associated with the decline of the ancient Gaelic order following the battle of Kinsale in 1601 and the introduction of English administration into Gaelic Ireland.. The MacDonogh gained the title of ‘Lord of Duhallow’ from this re-grant and Kanturk was granted the privilege of a weekly market.. In the first half of the seventeenth century the McDonogh mortgaged his land to Philip Percival, an English Protestant.. This was largely to finance the building of the present Kanturk Castle which was probably intended as a manor house appropriate to his status as Lord of Duhallow.. However, when the MacDonogh went into rebellion in 1641 he lost the right to redeem the mortgage and ownership then passed to Percival’s descendants.. In 1677, Sir Philip Percival II instructed his agent to lay out the town in ‘copyholds’ – a form of medieval English tenure – and this marked the first direct intervention  ...   population grew steadily in the half-century up to the famine of 1845, peaking at 4,388 in the 1841 census.. During this period the next significant milestone in the development of the town occurred with the appointment of Edward Tierney as land agent for the Earl of Egmont in 1823.. Tierney displayed vision and initiative in modernising the town and district which, up to then, comprised mainly of small, thatched and poorly constructed buildings.. Under his influence, for example, the town acquired a courthouse, hotel, market house, and the new street of Egmont Place.. He paid for some features, such as the ‘Metal Bridge’, from his own resources.. Ambition was another of Edward Tierney’s traits and he eventually gained ownership of the Egmont Estate from the Percival family in 1841.. This passed to his son-in-law, a Welsh clergyman named Sir Lionel Darell, in 1858.. However, in 1863 the Percivals regained control of their former estates following a highly-publicised law suit in which they successfully contested the original will by which Tierney had acquired them.. As a result of the land agitation in the 1880s, the Egmont Estate was sold to the tenants in 1892, thus marking the turning of the wheel of colonisation.. Much of the current ownership of Kanturk dates from this event.. The population of the town went into continuous decline following the economic and demographic changes after the famine.. It had sunk to less than 2000 by the end of the century, a figure it did not regain until the 1960s.. Thereafter, it stabilised and Kanturk remained a strong retail and services centre for its largely agricultural hinterland.. The information in this historic overview of Kanturk was provided by Mr.. Patrick O’Sullivan.. to view a Conjectural Map of Kanturk in 1791 by Mr.. O'Sullivan, based on a survey by John Purcell in that year.. (PDF 1.. 4mb)..

    Original link path: /HistoricOverview.html
    Open archive



  •  


    Archived pages: 174