www.archive-ie-2012.com » IE » L » LAKEDISTRICTHERITAGE

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".

    Archived pages: 48 . Archive date: 2012-12.

  • Title: Lake District Heritage
    Descriptive info: .. Ireland's Lake District Heritage.. Home.. Ballinrobe.. Cong.. Neale & Cross.. Harry Clarke.. Kids Section.. Search our site.. powered by.. FreeFind.. Links.. Ireland's Lake District includes the towns and villages that lie around the lakes of Mayo and Galway, namely Lough Corrib, Lough Mask and Lough Carra.. The purpose of this website is to promote the heritage rich area around Irelands Lake District.. While this website will appeal to people of all ages, it  ...   have done by adding a separate section where there are age specific puzzles.. It is our belief that by completing these puzzles the children are learning and having fun.. It is our intention to update this puzzles on a monthly basis or more regularly if the feedback shows the need.. This website has received support from the Heritage Council under the 2008 Publications Grant Scheme, for which we are very grateful.. Copyright 2008.. Last Updated:..

    Original link path: /
    Open archive

  • Title: Ballinrobe
    Descriptive info: Bowers Walk.. Barracks.. Old Railway.. Lituanica II.. Workhouse.. Churches.. Ballinrobe Town.. Ballinrobe, in Gaelic Baile an Roba, means town of the Robe River.. The town of Ballinrobe is in the Union of Ballinrobe, Civil Parish of Ballinrobe, Kilmaine Barony, County of Mayo, Ireland.. Ballinrobe was (and is) the largest town in south  ...   small villages and lots of pastureland.. Ballinrobe was a market town, a garrison town, a post town, and contained the regions workhouse.. The combinations of services available in Ballinrobe made it a magnet for the local rural population and a stopping off point for people who subsequently immigrated to England, Australia, and America..

    Original link path: /Ballinrobe/ballinrobe.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Cong
    Descriptive info: Search our site.. Ashford Castle.. Cong Abbey.. Caves.. Cong Canal.. Cross of Cong.. Click on the links to the left to get details about the heritage in the Cong Area..

    Original link path: /Cong/cong.html
    Open archive
  •  

  • Title: Neale & Cross
    Descriptive info: Ballymacgibbon Cairn.. Battle of Moytura.. Boycott.. Neale Monuments.. Click on the links on the left to learn more about Cross & The Neale..

    Original link path: /Cross/cross.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Life & Works
    Descriptive info: Life Works.. LDE Windows.. Harry Clarke - Life & Works.. Harry Clarke (March.. 17,1889–1931) was an Irish stained glass artist and book illustrator.. Born in Dublin, he was a figure in the Irish Arts and Crafts Movement.. The son of a craftsman, Joshua Clarke, he was exposed to art (and in particular Art Nouveau) at an early age.. He went to school in Belvedere College in Dublin.. By his late teens, he was studying stained glass at the Dublin Art School.. While there his The Consecration of St.. Mel, Bishop of Longford, by St.. Patrick won the gold medal for stained glass work in the 1910 Board of Education National Competition.. Completing his education in his main field, Clarke travelled to London, where he sought employment as a book illustrator.. Picked up by London publisher, Harrap, he started with two commissions which were never completed: Samuel Taylor Coleridge's The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (his work on which was destroyed during the 1916 Easter Rising) and an illustrated edition of Alexander Pope's The Rape of the Lock.. He provided illustrations for an edition of Andersen's Fairy Tales in both a trade and deluxe edition - almost unheard of for an untested, unknown and very young illustrator.. The image from The Nightingale and shows Clarke's debt to both Dulac and Nielsen.. Two of  ...   visit to see the stained glass of the Cathedral of Chartres, he was especially fond of deep blues), and an innovative integration of the window leading as part of the overall design (his use of heavy lines in his black and white book illustrations is probably derived from his glass techniques).. Clarke's stained glass work includes many religious windows but also much secular stained glass.. Highlights of the former include the windows of the Honan Chapel in University College Cork, of the latter, a window illustrating John Keats' The Eve of St.. Agnes (now in the Hugh Lane Municipal Gallery in Dublin) and the Geneva Window.. Perhaps his most seen work was the windows of Bewley's Café on Dublin's Grafton Street.. Unfortunately, ill health plagued both the Clarke brothers, and worn down by the pace of their work, and perhaps the toxic chemicals used in stained glass production, both died within a year of each other -- Harry second in early 1931, of tuberculosis while trying to recuperate in Switzerland.. Clarke's work was influenced by both the passing Art Nouveau and coming Art Deco movements.. His stained glass was particularly informed by the French Symbolist movement.. In 2006 Steve Simpson designed a 48c stamp for the Irish Post Office ( An Post) commemorating the 75th anniversary of the death of Harry Clarke..

    Original link path: /Harry/life.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Kids Section
    Descriptive info: Under 6.. Under 9.. Under 12.. This is the section that's designed for the younger surfers.. Click on the age appropriate links and try to complete the puzzles.. Don't forget to.. click here.. and send us feedback letting us know what you think about the puzzles..

    Original link path: /Kids/kids.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Links
    Descriptive info: If you would like to place a link to your website on this page please.. to contact the webmaster..

    Original link path: /Links/Links.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Bowers Walk
    Descriptive info: The Bowers Walk.. The Bowers Walk, which dates back to the 1800s is a two-mile walkway from the town of Ballinrobe along the River Robe, past historic sites like the old Cavalry Barracks and Cranmore House.. The Bowers walk originally formed part if an elaborate engineering undertaking that envisaged the linking of Ballinrobe to Galway by means of canals.. The River Robe was to be canalised from Ballinrobe to Lough Mask and a huge channel excavated between Lough Mask and Lough Corrib.. This would allow trading between Galway and Castlebar, which isn’t that far from Ballinrobe.. The scheme to construct the channel system was abandoned in 1856 due to the lack of funding from the government of the day  ...   the Bulcaun River was diverted to feed the mill brewery.. The brewery was in full action in 1859 and there were twelve people employed there.. The product was single X porter and it had a large sale in South Mayo and North Galway.. The brewery was let to a man named Livingston who came from Westport.. He also looked after the Flour Mill.. The channel, now dry, still exists and can be seen on the far bank.. The Military Bridge, which you pass under, was constructed at this time.. The building beyond the bridge was the Cavalry Barracks, which originally was Ballinrobe Castle.. It was constructed in the 13th century by the De Burgos.. The walk ends at Creagh Road..

    Original link path: /Ballinrobe/bowers.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Barracks
    Descriptive info: The Barracks.. 2 July 1607 - Thomas Nolan, described as “of Ballinrobe” got a grant by patent from King James I “of the 4 quarters of Ballinrobe.. ” After obtaining the patent grants of Ballinrobe, if not earlier, Thomas Nolan went into occupation of the new castle at Ballinrobe, for the old castle attached to the Mac William’s had probably even then become ruinous: every vestige of it has long since disappeared.. Mr.. Hubert Knox considers that its site was on the east bank of the river Robe, about where the iron bridge now is, but on the high ground.. 20 August 1617 - Thomas Nolan of Ballinrobe re-granted by patent the castle  ...   by the Cromwellian Government.. Lord Tyrawley of Ballinrobe sold his castle to the War Office in 1821 who then built the barracks.. There are barracks for cavalry and infantry; the former adapted to the accommodation of 8 officers and 106 non-commissioned officers and privates, with stabling for 84 horses; the latter for 6 officers and 96 non-commissioned officers and men, with an hospital for 20 patients.. The bridge was called the Military Bridge.. It was built by the English to link the Infantry and Cavalry Barracks.. Ballinrobe was a garrison town for many years.. The armed forces stationed in Ballinrobe gave an important monetary boost to the town until their withdrawal in 1926..

    Original link path: /Ballinrobe/barracks.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Old Railway
    Descriptive info: Ballinrobe Railway.. Ballinrobe railway station was opened on 1 November 1892, closed to passenger traffic on 1 June 1930 and finally closed altogether on 1 January 1960.. Ballinrobe was a branch line from Claremorris.. It was the coming of the “light Railway” era which brought about the making of a railway to Ballinrobe.. The “Tramways (Ireland) Act” of 1883 was to encourage the laying of light railways in sparsely – populated parts of the country and such lines were to be financed in some part by the system of “Baronial Guarantees”, so that investors might subscribe to such undertakings.. It was followed by the Act if 1889, while a former “Relief of Distress Act” allowed the baronies to obtain State loans for railway construction, on favorable terms.. These acts created a climate to suit those who agitated for a line to Ballinrobe, and on the 23rd Dec 1884, the “Ballinrobe & Claremorris Light Railway Company” was formally instituted.. In April, 1885, engineers were appointed.. Ballinrobe remained the terminus, the surrounding area, and North Connemara, were extensively advertised to draw attention to the rugged scenery, magnificent lakes, tracts of scenic beauty, Ashford Castle and the fishing.. Large parties of anglers travelled by light rail to fish the silver trout of the near by  ...   inwards for locomotive and retail sales, specials ran ex-North Wall to bring 300 tons of the fuel for the South mayo Garrison, billeted near Ballinrobe Town, delivery was on the last day of each month, with the wagons discharged over a 12-hour period.. During 1937-’39, traffic deceased, with the advent of motorised transport so that competition was keen to gain whatever traffic was on offer.. One may ask why did the branch closed?.. Prior to World War 2 it lost traffic in the general recession, emigration was the norm, especially from the Ballinrobe area.. Services were reduced during the War, discouraging people from travelling and when one wished to do so, the timetable might not suit- connections with the main line trains were not made, particularly in the morning.. There was severe competition from road transport, when restrictions were relaxed resulting in a price war which made transport un economic for all operators.. It was a Government Act of 1958 which caused the Ballinrobe Branch to cease operation, as another Act of 1924 had caused the Claremorris & Ballinrobe Light Railway to be wound up and lose its independence.. The Board held its final meeting on Dec 30th 1924 at which the sum of £157-10s.. /Od.. was voted to each director as compensation..

    Original link path: /Ballinrobe/railway.html
    Open archive

  • Title: Lituanica II
    Descriptive info: Lituanica II.. Felix Waitkus (Feliksas Vaitkus) (1907-1956) - was a Lithuanian-American pilot, sixth pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic.. His parents came from Lithuania in 1904, and settled in the Bridgeport, Chicago, where he was born three years later.. He enlisted in the army in 1928, and after graduating from advanced pilot’s training school, was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Air Corps.. In 1931, he was placed in the reserves with the rank of first lieutenant and returned to civilian life to work with his father-in-law who operated a flying school in Kohler, Wisconsin.. A few months after the Lituanica tragedy, some prominent members of the Chicago Lithuanian community discussed the possibility of financing another transatlantic flight.. This idea was greeted with much enthusiasm, and enough funds were raised during this difficult period, which was called the Great Depression.. A much faster and more modern aircraft (compared to the Lituanica) was purchased from the Lockheed Aircraft Corp.. , called the Lockheed Vega, the same model used by Wiley Post in his round-the-world flight, and by Amelia Earhart, the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic.. The aircraft was christened Lituanica II on Sunday, April 22, 1934.. When the pilot originally chosen for the flight unexpectedly resigned in the spring, the Lithuanian organizers turned to Felix Waitkus, and he accepted the challenge to fly to Lithuania.. The original flight date had to be changed to 1935 because modifications were needed to strengthen the aircraft's structure due to the installation of extra fuel tanks and a more powerful engine.. New equipment was added, which Darius and Girėnas did not have, such as a variable pitch propeller to improve engine performance and a radio compass.. Lituanica II was flown extensively to insure its success.. Waitkus arrived at Floyd Bennett Field in New York in May of 1935.. Up until then, no pilots were able to fly over the Atlantic due to poor weather conditions, and so he had to wait until the chief meteorologist  ...   his low fuel supply, and being exhausted after a 23-hour struggle fighting the elements, he felt it was best to come down somewhere in Ireland.. A specially-arranged radio broadcast from Athlone played a crucial role in guiding him towards Ireland and his flight path took him in over Connemara where he most probably veered north at Lough Corrib towards Ballinrobe.. He circled the town for quite a while looking for a suitable landing spot.. It was 10am on a cloudy autumn Sunday morning and the commotion caused quite a stir in the quiet town.. He spotted an open field in Cloongowla at Ballinrobe, County Mayo and came down, with the aircraft suffering extensive damage.. He was lucky to be alive without suffering any injuries.. Lituanica II was crated for shipment to Lithuania, where it would be restored.. By ship and by train he made his way to Kaunas where he was given a hero’s welcome.. The only one to fly across the North Atlantic in 1935 was Felix Waitkus, and even though he came down in Ireland and not in Kaunas, he was entered in aviation’s history books for being the sixth pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic.. He was recalled to active duty in the Army Air Corps in 1940, serving as the chief test pilot at the Boeing Aircraft Co.. in Seattle, testing hundreds of B-17 and B-29 bombers.. He was recalled again to serve in the U.. S.. Air Force during the Korean War.. He died of a heart attack while stationed at Wiesbaden, Germany on July 25, 1956 at the age of 49.. His body was shipped home and interred in his wife’s family plot in the Kohler Cemetery at Sheboygan, Wisconsin.. At the time of his passing he held the rank of lieutenant Colonel.. In 1936 there was a Lithuanian postage stamp dedicated to Lituanica II flight.. In September 2007, a memorial was unveiled in Ballinrobe, County Mayo, in Ireland to commemorate the landing of the airplane Lituanica II..

    Original link path: /Ballinrobe/lituanica.html
    Open archive



  •  


    Archived pages: 48